Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Now and Then

Every so often I'll stumble upon something
so well written and captivating
I wonder why I don't take more time to read.

The appreciation is fresh and new, 
the way we desire
the first sunny green days of spring.

Every so often a vacation to a foreign place...
a break from the daily habits
makes you realize some of your
assumptions may be false
and some of the rules you live by
can change.

It's a flash of keen awareness 
like the moment you see the same path differently 
when you are on your bike 
rather than in your car.

Every so often someone you love 
undergoes minor surgery
and you are thankful 
there aren't more major surgeries in your life.

Once in awhile
you realize
you need the every so often
more often.

1 comment:

This is your father speaking said...

You and Laura Aase had the same English teacher. Who was that person?